Sunday, January 17, 2016

Investigating Genres

Francois Schnell, "Podcasts anywhere anytime." 2/10/2010. via flickr. Attribution 2.0 Generic License

1. What purpose(s) does this genre usually serve?

  • Podcasts serve the purpose of transferring opinions and facts through an informal, audio-exclusive setting. Those who take part in a podcast are able to give facts to the audiences, while also seamlessly adding in their own opinions.

2. Where, how, or in what context do readers usually find this genre?

  • The prime way to consume podcasts is through the internet or online using applications such as iTunes. The genre is consistently similar to that of a radio interaction, with audio being the only way to transfer information. 

3. Who is the typical audience for this genre?

  • Podcasts, due to their location being online, is mostly consumed by young adults and those who have been consistently exposed to the technology present in today's society. 

4. What are some of the key features or characteristics that are unique to this genre, distinguishing it from other texts?

  • Podcasts are extremely simple in terms of what they use to transfer information. Podcasts use music and other forms of audio in order to get across information to the audience. 
  • Quick reference guides and video essays may/will use audio as well, however they also use recorded words or videos to get their point across. Podcasts are unique in that it is solely audio.
  • Podcasts are also informal, as there are many different individuals who can take part in a podcast, creating the feeling of a regular conversation. 

5. Based on your answers to the questions above, come up with a definition in your own words for this genre.

  • Podcasts are the next step in technological evolution compared to radio interviews or radio talk shows. It is a way to allow opinions and facts to be released to the audience directly online, through only voice or music. 

Reflection

I commented on Arun's and Michaela's posts about Investigating Genres, and each of them posted about the other two genres that I am not familiar with. They both were able to help me grasp the concept of both of those genres, as well as the purpose of each of them as well. Specifically Arun was able to definitely show just how common video essays really are in society today, specifically on different aspects of social media which is definitely new information that I was previously unaware of. Also Michaela was able to simplify the quick reference guides and specifically lay out how it is unique in that it allows for a much more detailed and thorough presentation of ideas that couldn't be otherwise experienced elsewhere. Each of these posts enlightened me on different aspects of the genres that I had yet to research, and made them much more understandable especially in this current digital society. 

4 comments:

  1. Tim,

    You wrote a very informative post on podcasts. To be honest, I have never really listened to a podcast before. I didn't really see the point in listening podcasts because I thought they were all boring. In my opinion, podcasts are like textbooks, just an oral version. However, you have persuaded me to reconsider podcasts because you mention the word "conversation". With this I think I can have, or engage in, a conversation about an interest of mine or a topic. For me, since I am a sports guy, I can listen sports podcasts. I agree with you that podcasts are extremely simple to use for multiple types of media. Overall, you gave me more insight into what podcasts really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    Thank you for sharing this post about podcasts because it cleared up my confusion about this genre. I was not that familiar with podcasts before, but now I have a better understanding of them and feel less nervous about having to make one. They are very unique because they do not have any visuals for the audience to engage in, so whoever is speaking has to captivate their listeners the entire time with their words and voice. However, they are an easy genre for listeners to multitask with. For example, one can be listening to a podcast while cleaning the house or making dinner if they do not have time to sit down and read an article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim,

    Your post made me view podcasts in a different light. I've listened to podcasts before but usually not in the informative subgenre, so I was a little skeptical coming in to this project. In my podcast I hope to emulate your points about seamlessly adding personal input amidst the facts, while trying to be as informative as possible. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really uncertain about what a podcast was, but you post really cleared a lot of things up for me! I like how you described it has having a regular conversation. In a lot of the examples, it did feel like the people on the podcast were having a normal conversation. I liked this unique aspect about podcasts.

    ReplyDelete