Sunday, January 17, 2016

My Writing Process

Matt Hampel, "EDIT>." 10/4/2008. via flickr. Attribution 2.0 Generic License 


1. What type(s) of writer do you consider yourself to be?
  • I consider myself to have the most attributes of a heavy reviser. I find myself spend very little time on the actual writing phase, and going through heavy editing either through peers or alone.
2. Does your writing process seem to be successful? What are the strengths and weaknesses of your approach?

  • I believe that balance is key. If I spent more time on the writing phase, like sequential composers, than the editing process would be far less extreme than it currently is.
  • I also do not spend enough time on planning a paper. The initial reaction is to come up with an idea of what I would like to write, and then jump into writing. This leads to many of my ideas needing drastic changes in the editing phase, and may lead to entirely new papers.
3. Does your writing process include several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?
  • There are certain aspects of procrastination that are a part of my writing style. While I may not write the paper on the last day it is due, because I leave definitive time for editing, the writing takes place usually all in one day. If I were to give myself more time for the writing process, the ideas would come out far more clear than they are currently. 
4. Do you think it might be beneficial for you to try a different approach? Why or why not?

  • I believe that it would be helpful to try the sequential composer approach. While it does take more time in the writing area, it combines both areas and spends an equal amount of time on both, ensuring that nothing is unbalanced.
  • Also, the process of editing while writing would also be beneficial. It would allow the ability to adjust the course that I am taking in the middle of the writing process. Allowing me to catch major and minor mistakes, and make corrections so as to avoid completely rewriting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment